To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Are you committed to having a green home? Have you considered going solar? The residential solar industry is booming, and homeowners have more options than ever before. Vivint is one of the largest providers of residential solar panel systems in the U.S., just behind SolarCity. Vivint Solar launched in 2011, and the company continues a path of rapid growth into more and more states. They’re a worthy competitor in the solar industry, but what does Vivint Solar deliver to homeowners? Enough that we ranked them third in our Residential Solar Panel reviews. But we encourage you to read our Vivint Solar reviews to see if they’re a good fit for you.
Vivint Solar Review
- Offers loan, lease and PPA financing options
- They hire their own installers in each market they serve
- 24/7/365 monitoring of your solar system
- Uses rail-free Zep technology reducing installation time and cost
- Use of micro-inverters increases efficiency by 15% or more compared to a centralized inverter, which most companies use
- In-person free rooftop consultation
- Can sync with Vivint home security and automation system
- Some consumer complaints about problems with energy production once system is installed
- Many consumer complaints about poor customer service
- No smartphone apps (but they do have a mobile-optimized site where you can monitor production and usage)
- No information on website about battery backup
- Company isn’t BBB accredited
- Many financing options, including purchase, loans, leases and power purchase agreements (see our Financing section below for more details)
- Located in 14 states, including AZ, CA, CT, FL, HI, MA, MD, NJ, NM, NY, PA, SC, TX and UT, as well as the District of Columbia
- Use of micro-inverters instead of the industry-standard centralized inverters increases efficiency by 15% or more
- Vivint Solar panels use rail-free Zep technology, which saves on installation time and cost
- Free installation and maintenance for lease and PPA customers
- Vivint Solar monitors your system 24/7
Vivint Solar cost varies widely depending on your home rooftop design, your market and which type of financing or plan you obtain.
Tip: Apply for state and federal solar energy tax incentives and rebates to save even more money.
- Purchase or obtain a loan. Vivint Solar offers loans or the option of paying outright. They provide a 20-year system warranty.
- Lease a solar panel system with $0 down and a fixed monthly lease payment.
- Power Purchase Agreement. A PPA is similar to a lease in many, however, rather than paying a fixed monthly lease fee, with a PPA, you pay monthly for the electricity you produce at a set rate. Vivint Solar offers $0 down and a 2.9% annual escalator.
VivintSolar occasionally has promotions, find them and discuss on our dedicated VivintSolar coupon page.
What’s the Buzz About Vivint Solar?
See below for a balanced sampling of positive customer reviews and Vivint Solar complaints from customers who currently use their solar panel systems.
Positive Vivint Solar Reviews
Everyone involved in Vivint has been absolutely wonderful in getting my solar up and running. The staff are professional and efficient, despite working for two days in the awful 110+ degree heat. I am pleased with this company and will definitely refer anyone I know that wants to go Solar. – Janice, Consumer Affairs 8/18/2016
While others have had issues, my installation went as planned. I talked to the solar consultant about all the negative reviews and learned that most all are associated with the incredible growth Vivint has seen. They have done much to mitigate the problems – from training the sales staff to explain the timeline more thoroughly, to improving the internal tracking software, hiring more operations staff and probably most significantly creating a position (Customer Satisfaction Manager) whose sole responsibility is to keep projects on track. I was a Quality Manager – and think they have done an exceptional job in responding to the issues they have faced. Don’t let the negative reviews scare you … the product and company have been wonderful to work with! – John S., BBB 10/1/2015
Negative Vivint Solar Reviews
Vivint Solar has the absolute hands down WORST customer service I have ever endured. Hours upon hours on hold trying to get my panels operational and producing electricity has us to the point of suing them to get them off my house. They are phenomenal selling the system but it ends there. I didn’t even mind the 6 month wait. What I do mind is paying Vivint for solar while they KNOW THE SYSTEM IS NOT OPERATIONAL!! – G.S., BBB 9/11/2016
Newly installed system that is only providing 1/3rd of promised solar power. I have been trying to reach someone in the “workout” department for 2 weeks now. I have left messages/contact info with customer service personnel, and with the CSR contact from the install. I have received zero follow up. I am now paying a bill to Vivint AND my local power provider. This company seems to literally want just to get panels on your roof and then be done with you. Customer care doesn’t exist. – Chad, Consumer Affairs 7/18/2016
Does Vivint Service Your Area?
As we stated above, Vivint Solar is now available in 14 states, including AZ, CA, CT, FL, HI, MA, MD, NJ, NM, NY, PA, SC, TX and UT, as well as the District of Columbia. In 2016, Vivint Solar branched into seven new states and continues its rapid growth. Check out a local news report on the arrival of Vivint Solar in New Mexico.
What’s Our Final Verdict on Vivint Solar?
Vivint Solar’s growth has exploded in the last couple of years. And some say that rapid expansion is to the detriment of their company’s installation time and customer service. While they appear to be working on upping their company’s infrastructure, Vivint Solar still has a way to go to becoming the best in the industry. With that said, Vivint Solar is still a powerhouse in the industry and certainly worth consideration. For as many disgruntled customer reviews we’ve seen, there are many more satisfied customers.
One of Vivint Solar’s main selling points is the ability to sync your solar panels with Vivint’s wide variety of smart home security and automation products. If you already have Vivint Smart Home products or you’ve been pondering turning your house into a smart home, give their solar panel system serious consideration. But before you decide, be sure to check out Vivint Solar’s competitors in our reviews of the top solar panel systems for your home.
What do you like or dislike about Vivint Solar?